- Award obligation
- Enterprise agreements
- Rights and entitlements
- Union rights of entry
- Claims alleging unfair dismissal or other adverse action
- Breach of employment contract claims
- Under paid wage and breach of award claims
- Enterprise bargaining proceedings
- Advising an ASX100 coal mining company on their industrial strategy for making enterprise agreements, and rolling out enterprise agreements onsite directly to workers hand in hand with mine supervisors. This resulted in the company putting in place a range of highly flexible and efficient enterprise agreements that placed the company in a highly competitive position with the market.
- Representing a top 4 bank in multimillion dollar breach of contract proceedings in the New South Wales Supreme Court in relation to performance bonus entitlements. This included drafting evidence for some of Australia’s most senior banking executives.
- Advising employers on the management and obligations owed to ill and injured workers under workers’ compensation, workplace health and safety and workplace relations laws.
- Advising clients across a broad range of industries regarding minimum terms of employment and safety net entitlements, thus minimising the risk of costly breach of award claims.
- Defending a multitude of employers in response to general protections (adverse action) claims by employees of all levels, with the bulk not proceeding past conciliation. In all cases, thus far, employers exposed to significant liability and penalties (in the hundreds of thousands) have reached settlements with the employees that were a fraction of their potential liability.
- Assisting a mining services company covered by three different, lengthy awards to make one simple enterprise agreement containing significant flexibilities to replace all such awards. This resulted in a considerable administrative cost saving for the client, has protected the company from protected industrial action for many years, and has resulted in the removal of the risk of breach of award claims.
- Defending a range of unfair dismissal claims brought by employees against employers, including assisting clients to settle claims on commercially positive terms, as well as successfully making jurisdictional objections to these claims. These outcomes have resulted in significant costs savings for employers, as well as a reduction in the distraction and productivity losses that attach to lengthy unfair dismissal proceedings.
Non-legal advice and training
Wherever possible, we like to help our clients avoid the workplace hassles that can lead to legal challenges.
We can provide training, coaching and advice for leaders, managers and staff on not only their legal obligations but also the broader challenges of performance management and appropriate workplace behavior.